The design of the mta solder tips is the result of 50 years of experience in the soldering domain. This unique design is based on the following key parameters:
- Easy changeover of the tip: it can be changed within a few seconds and a minimum of steps. The simple and accurate spring lock ensures the replacement of the tips without requiring any further changes to the machine.
- Long life span: the design ensures a long life span of the tips of up to 80’000 soldering points depending on the application.
- Accurate temperature control and thermal transfer: the main challenge in an iron soldering device is the quality of the thermal transfer between the heating element and the tip. In addition, the measurement and the control of the temperature must be fast and accurate.
A large range of standard tips for 80W and 150W soldering heads, corresponding to the most common uses, is available. Specific tips can also be offered depending on the customer’s application. mta tips can be used for both lead and lead free soldering.
3 advantages of the mta soldering heating element and tip design
- The soldering tips are separate from the heating elements. As the less expensive tips are consumed, you replace them only. The heating elements generally last much longer than solder tips and can last for years.
- The tip surrounds the heating element. This design places the thermocouple deep inside the tip for very accurate reading of what is happening at the solder joint. The temperature controller can quickly react to minute changes at the solder joint while the tip still has heat in it.
- The tip surrounds the heating unit so all of the heat radiating outward passes directly into the tip. This design is very efficient and heats the tip quickly.
Solder tips 80W
PDF - Unitechnologies_mta_solder_tips_80W_07.2017.pdf/1.2 mb
Solder tips 150W
PDF - Unitechnologies_mta_solder_tips_150W_02.2019.pdf /1.2 mb
Classic soldering iron
mta’s classic iron head for soldering robots is our most popular soldering technology. Probably because most customers are upgrading from hand soldering with the iron.
We can integrate the classic iron head for soldering robots on any of our standard soldering platforms including: MRC500, TR300, OEM and station.
The main features of our classic iron head for soldering robots include:
- Multiple adjustments allowing easy configuration for specific applications
- Robust structure guaranteeing that tip and wire feeder do not get misaligned accidentally
- Soldering tips have a long life span and users can change them quickly and easily
- Extensive tip selection to suit a wide variety of applications
- Jam-free wire feeder mounted directly on the head provides tight process control
- Lead free compatible
7 reasons to choose the mta classic soldering iron
- The soldering tip is separate from the heating element, so users do not need to change the heating element as frequently as the tip. This reduces consumable cost.
- A pneumatically-dampened spring lowers the tip to allow compliance between the tip and part. This provides good thermal transfer while protecting the parts and tip. Also, the robot does not use the z-axis to move the iron tip.
- There are no stamped sheet metal or die-cast parts. We machined the robust head structure from solid material to provide a rigid platform for the iron and wire feeder.
- The clamping system provides easy adjustment and precise alignment. Once tightened, the position will not change until loosened – there is no risk of accidental misalignment as a result of heavy use or while changing tips.
- We mounted our precise jam-free wire feeder directly on the head – at the solder joint. This provides tight process control of the wire feed. Solder wire does not kink or get jammed since there is no long feed tube. Once the correct amount is fed, the wire feeder pulls the wire out of the solder pool to prevent solder spatter.
- We integrated the fume extraction nozzle into the head itself. Therefore, it is mounted directly above the solder joint to safely remove fumes.
- In addition to the iron, wire feeder and fume extraction nozzle, the head can support several optional devices such as: cameras, flux dispensers, dual feeders, dual irons and the list goes on.
TR300 soldering table-top robot
The mta TR300 is a table-top soldering robot platform. This robot is purpose-built and standardized for semi-automated applications that require point-to-point soldering.
The table-top platform is a cost-effective solution to automate existing hand-soldering processes without the cost of fully-automated systems. Automating the solder process has several advantages over hand soldering. It produces highly consist joints, improved quality, higher throughput and it requires less skill and training than hand soldering.
This table-top soldering robot platform is also ideal for applications where human dexterity is required to position the parts. Indeed, operators can load and unload the parts in offline fixtures to minimize machine downtime.
The main features of our TR300 platform include: sturdy aluminum frame, 4-axis soldering robot, 300x300mm working area, 0.02mm repeatability, industrial PC controller with Windows 10 operating system, intuitive menu-driven mta MotionEditor software and air preparation & selectable 110/220VAC power connections.
As the TR300 is a purpose-built solution, it can support any of mta’s soldering heads without compromise. The ball-screw axis and motors provide fast repeatable motion. Likewise, they are strong enough to support our heads that include our anti-jam wire feeder system and solder wire spool. There is no need to push solder wire through lengthy and problematic feed tubes. Therefore, the solder process is more accurate and reliable wire feed than feeding the wire long distances. Similarly, we pre-plumbed a large fume extraction hose with the nozzle located directly above the solder joint. Furthermore, light curtains and safety guarding are standard features. Lastly, the TR300 platform includes metal sides and door to protect operators with the laser soldering head.
5 reasons to choose the mta TR300 table-top robot
- The TR300 is the ideal platform for companies looking to automate current hand soldering processes.
- Your process is difficult to fully automate (e.g. you need human dexterity to load the parts.).
- Volume or product life do not justify fully automated production.
- The remaining processes are also off-line.
- The parts fit inside a 300x300mm work area.
See also our fully-automated MRC500 platform.
MRC500 soldering robotic cell
The mta MRC500 soldering platform for robotic soldering from above is a free-standing machine cell. Our design engineers purposes-built the MRC500 for soldering applications then standardized the design. We built our own platform so we would not need to compromise functionality based on the limitations of third-party equipment. Standardizing the design offers three primary advantages: it is well-proven, available faster and costs less than-off custom designs.
Although the design is standard, it is highly flexible. We designed the mechanical structure to work with a wide range of process equipment, material handling and guarding systems. In its basic configuration, the MRC500 is a free-standing, semi-automated machine. At the other extreme, we can outfit it with SMEMA conveyors, collaborative robots, rotary tables and many other systems. Likewise, our software engineers included flexible modules in our MotionEditor software to quickly integrate a wide range of standard and special options.
We can equip the MRC500 with any of our soldering heads: soldering iron, induction, or microflame. In the case of the MLH45 laser head, we equip the MRC500 specific to laser soldering with laser-safe guarding.
As properly designed heads are fairly heavy, the MRC500 is equipped with large DC stepper motors to provide sufficient strength to actuate the head quickly. The X, Y, and Z axis use robust ball-screw actuators for precise actuation. Repeatability of 20 microns assures the solder process is accurate and delivers consistent quality.
The main features of our MRC500 platform include: welded frame construction, 3-axis Cartesian robot with optional rotary axis at the head, 500x500mm working area, industrial PC controller with Embedded Windows® operating system and intuitive menu-driven mta MotionEditor software.
6 reasons to choose the mta MRC500 soldering platform
- You need a larger work area (500x500mm).
- You need the y-axis overhead (the y-axis is in the base of the TR300).
- Your process is semi-automated, but you need a free-standing station.
- The production is inline and requires conveyors.
- Your process is offline, but you need another form of material handling (rotary table, collaborative robot, etc.).
- The enclosure is large enough to support additional process such as automatic optical inspection.
OEM soldering robot for integrator
The mta OEM soldering robot for integrator can be used for semi or fully automatic operations of selective point to point soldering from above.
Thanks to its unique concept, the OEM robot is delivered to the system’s manufacturer with a process guarantee.
The OEM robot can be equipped with any of mta’s soldering heads: soldering iron, induction, microflame; except for the mta MLH45 laser head.
The 3 or 4 axes of the OEM robot are fully programmable through the mta-MotionEditor software, including soldering parameters such as:
- Solder quantity, wire feed speed, preheating/postheating times, automatic tip cleaning cycle intervals and other parameters for each soldered point.
With its flexible and modular concept, the OEM robot can be fully and easily integrated into a production line.
The main features of our OEM robot include:
- Welded frame construction
- 4-axis soldering robot, Y-axis in the base to also present parts to the operator
- 300x300mm or 500×500 working area
- Industrial PC controller with Embedded Windows® operating system
- Intuitive menu-driven mta MotionEditor software
4 reasons to choose the mta OEM soldering robot
- The X, Y, and Z axis use ball-screw actuators for precise actuation with a repeatability of ±20 μm to assure the process is accurate and delivers consistent quality.
- Properly designed heads are fairly heavy, so large DC stepper motors are used that provide the strength needed to actuate the head quickly.
- The OEM platform offers a high flexibility in terms of mechanical and electrical integration i.e. it can be easily and securerly integrated into the customer’s machine.
- Intuitive menu-driven mta MotionEditor software.
Each machine is specifically tailored to the customer’s application, but the standard OEM soldering robot comes well-equipped:
- 3 axis cartesian robot
- Complete soldering head according to the chosen technology
- Tip cleaner depending on the chosen head
- Air preparation system
- Industrial panel PC with touch screen
- Full-size keyboard
- Rotary axis
- Specific fixture
- Fume extraction system depending on the chosen head
- Monitoring camera
- Recentering camera
- Part presence sensor
- Part height measuring sensor
- Automated sponge humidification system depending on the chosen head
Soldering station for integrator
For applications that do not require the flexibility of a robot, a simple mta soldering station is available. It allows semi or fully automatic operations of selective point to point soldering from above.