MLH45 laser head
mta’s MLH45 laser head is primarily used for soldering robots on joints that are too small for the iron – smaller than 1mm. For the smallest applications, we combine the laser heat source with optical realignment and solder paste jet dispenser. This guarantees mastery of the total process especially in cases where solder wire size is too large to achieve optimal results.
We also use the MLH45 laser head for soldering robots when the part requires a non-contact heat source, or the joints are in tight places that physical heating units cannot reach.
We can integrate the induction soldering iron on two of our standard soldering platforms: laser MRC500 robotic cell and TR300 table-top robot.
N.B. We add metal sides and a mechanical door to the TR300 table-top robot to protect operators from the laser.
The main features of our MLH45 laser head include:
- The ability to solder very small joints
- Easy teaching with integrated monitoring and laser pointer
- Diode laser with optical fiber
- Non-contact soldering
- Jam-free wire feeder mounted directly on the head provides tight process control
- Compatible with RoHS (lead-free) solder
7 reasons to choose the mta MLH45 laser soldering head
- We can combine the laser with solder paste jetting system to solder very small joints.
- Optional fiducial recognition is able to realign the paste jetting system and laser.
- The laser fires straight down, so it is able to reach joints inaccessible by iron, induction and microflame.
- There are no stamped sheet metal or die-cast parts. We machined the robust head structure from solid material to provide a rigid platform for the iron and wire feeder.
- The clamping system provides easy adjustment and precise alignment. Once tightened, the position will not change until loosened – there is no risk of accidental misalignment as a result of heavy use or while changing tips.
- We mounted our precise jam-free solder wire feeder directly on the head – at the solder joint. This provides tight process control of the wire feed. Solder wire does not kink or get jammed since there is no long feed tube. Once the correct amount is fed, the wire feeder pulls the wire out of the solder pool to prevent solder spatter.
- Optionally, the solder paste jet, is offset on the same head, so one robot provides both functions – no need for a second robot to apply solder to the parts.
- Medical application
- 2 soldered points with MLH45 laser head
- Point size of 0.3 mm
- Wires on a ceramic substrate of a medical pressure sensor
- 4 soldered points with MLH45 laser head
- Point size of 1 mm
- Medical application
- 9 soldered points with MLH45 laser head
- Point size of 0.8 mm
The standard MLH45 laser soldering head comes well-equipped:
- Soldering head structure
- Diode laser with optical fiber
- Wire feeder
- Solder wire
- Cooling system
- Monitoring camera
Options within mta dedicated laser platforms:
- Integrated solder paste jetting system
- Recentering camera
- Vision quality control
- Fume extraction system
- Part presence sensor
- Part height measuring sensor
- Laser power 45W
- Cooling system air cooled
- Wavelength 940nm
- Laser spot circular beam spot
- Laser spot diameter 0.2 – 2.5 mm
- Laser positioning system laser pointer and camera monitoring (fiducials recognition in option)
- Temperature control and power adjustment temperature measurement with close loop control of laser power (option)
- Laser source power supply 230V/50Hz or 115V/60Hz
- Air pressure max. 6 bar
- Laser head dimensions 220 x 150 x 250 mm depending on chosen options
- Laser head weight ~4 kg
Selective soldering solutions
PDF - mta_selective_soldering_05.2017.pdf /8.3 mb
MRC500 laser robotic cell
The mta laser MRC500 is the larger robotic cell that supports point to point laser soldering from above. The standardized platform is based on a flexible and modular concept that can be adapted to a range of processes from fully-automated in-line to stand-alone semi-automated processes.
TR300 soldering table-top robot
The mta TR300 is a table-top soldering robot platform. This robot is purpose-built and standardized for semi-automated applications that require point-to-point soldering.
The table-top platform is a cost-effective solution to automate existing hand-soldering processes without the cost of fully-automated systems. Automating the solder process has several advantages over hand soldering. It produces highly consist joints, improved quality, higher throughput and it requires less skill and training than hand soldering.
This table-top soldering robot platform is also ideal for applications where human dexterity is required to position the parts. Indeed, operators can load and unload the parts in offline fixtures to minimize machine downtime.
The main features of our TR300 platform include: sturdy aluminum frame, 4-axis soldering robot, 300x300mm working area, 0.02mm repeatability, industrial PC controller with Windows 10 operating system, intuitive menu-driven mta MotionEditor software and air preparation & selectable 110/220VAC power connections.
As the TR300 is a purpose-built solution, it can support any of mta’s soldering heads without compromise. The ball-screw axis and motors provide fast repeatable motion. Likewise, they are strong enough to support our heads that include our anti-jam wire feeder system and solder wire spool. There is no need to push solder wire through lengthy and problematic feed tubes. Therefore, the solder process is more accurate and reliable wire feed than feeding the wire long distances. Similarly, we pre-plumbed a large fume extraction hose with the nozzle located directly above the solder joint. Furthermore, light curtains and safety guarding are standard features. Lastly, the TR300 platform includes metal sides and door to protect operators with the laser soldering head.
5 reasons to choose the mta TR300 table-top robot
- The TR300 is the ideal platform for companies looking to automate current hand soldering processes.
- Your process is difficult to fully automate (e.g. you need human dexterity to load the parts.).
- Volume or product life do not justify fully automated production.
- The remaining processes are also off-line.
- The parts fit inside a 300x300mm work area.
See also our fully-automated MRC500 platform.
Solder wire feeder
The location of the mta wire feeder is unique. Placing it directly on the solder head improves accuracy, reliability, and overall performance. We are distinctive in this regard because our purpose-built robot is able to support the additional weight at the end of the robot.
Solder paste dispensing heads
The soldering market is heading towards smaller and smaller applications. Therefore, the size of the solder wire and the influence of its contact with the components become a limit for the achievable process accuracy.