MLH45 laser head
mta’s MLH45 laser head is primarily used for soldering robots on joints that are too small for the iron – smaller than 1mm. For the smallest applications, we combine the laser heat source with optical realignment and solder paste jet dispenser. This guarantees mastery of the total process especially in cases where solder wire size is too large to achieve optimal results.
We also use the MLH45 laser head for soldering robots when the part requires a non-contact heat source, or the joints are in tight places that physical heating units cannot reach.
We can integrate the induction soldering iron on two of our standard soldering platforms: laser MRC500 robotic cell and TR300 table-top robot.
N.B. We add metal sides and a mechanical door to the TR300 table-top robot to protect operators from the laser.
The main features of our MLH45 laser head include:
- The ability to solder very small joints
- Easy teaching with integrated monitoring and laser pointer
- Diode laser with optical fiber
- Non-contact soldering
- Jam-free wire feeder mounted directly on the head provides tight process control
- Compatible with RoHS (lead-free) solder
7 reasons to choose the mta MLH45 laser soldering head
- We can combine the laser with solder paste jetting system to solder very small joints.
- Optional fiducial recognition is able to realign the paste jetting system and laser.
- The laser fires straight down, so it is able to reach joints inaccessible by iron, induction and microflame.
- There are no stamped sheet metal or die-cast parts. We machined the robust head structure from solid material to provide a rigid platform for the iron and wire feeder.
- The clamping system provides easy adjustment and precise alignment. Once tightened, the position will not change until loosened – there is no risk of accidental misalignment as a result of heavy use or while changing tips.
- We mounted our precise jam-free solder wire feeder directly on the head – at the solder joint. This provides tight process control of the wire feed. Solder wire does not kink or get jammed since there is no long feed tube. Once the correct amount is fed, the wire feeder pulls the wire out of the solder pool to prevent solder spatter.
- Optionally, the solder paste jet, is offset on the same head, so one robot provides both functions – no need for a second robot to apply solder to the parts.
- Medical application
- 2 soldered points with MLH45 laser head
- Point size of 0.3 mm
- Wires on a ceramic substrate of a medical pressure sensor
- 4 soldered points with MLH45 laser head
- Point size of 1 mm
- Medical application
- 9 soldered points with MLH45 laser head
- Point size of 0.8 mm
The standard MLH45 laser soldering head comes well-equipped:
- Soldering head structure
- Diode laser with optical fiber
- Wire feeder
- Solder wire
- Cooling system
- Monitoring camera
Options within mta dedicated laser platforms:
- Integrated solder paste jetting system
- Recentering camera
- Vision quality control
- Fume extraction system
- Part presence sensor
- Part height measuring sensor
- Laser power 45W
- Cooling system air cooled
- Wavelength 940nm
- Laser spot circular beam spot
- Laser spot diameter 0.2 – 2.5 mm
- Laser positioning system laser pointer and camera monitoring (fiducials recognition in option)
- Temperature control and power adjustment temperature measurement with close loop control of laser power (option)
- Laser source power supply 230V/50Hz or 115V/60Hz
- Air pressure max. 6 bar
- Laser head dimensions 220 x 150 x 250 mm depending on chosen options
- Laser head weight ~4 kg
Selective soldering solutions
PDF - mta_selective_soldering_05.2017.pdf /8.3 mb
MRC500 laser robotic cellLearn more Read more
The laser MRC500 is the larger robotic cell that supports point to point laser soldering from above. The standardized platform has a flexible and modular concept that can be adapted to a range of processes from fully-automated in-line to stand-alone semi-automated processes.
The frame of the laser MRC500 is designed to ensure the safety of the operator during the laser soldering process. Furthermore, it also provides maximum accessibility to the working area. The laser robotic cell is only equipped with mta MLH45 laser head.
The main features of our laser MRC500 include:
- Welded frame construction
- 3-axis Cartesian robot
- 500x500mm working area
- Industrial PC controller with Embedded Windows® operating system
- Intuitive menu-driven mta MotionEditor software
4 reasons to choose the mta MRC500 laser soldering cell
- The laser MRC500 is both purposes-built and standardized. The advantage of being purpose-built is that there was no need to compromise functionality around pre-defined limitations. The advantage of standardizing the design is that it does not come with the heavy cost associated with one-off custom machines.
- The X, Y, and Z axis use ball-screw actuators for precise actuation with a repeatability of 20 microns to assure the process is accurate and delivers consistent quality.
- Properly designed heads are fairly heavy, so large DC stepper motors are used that provide the strength needed to actuate the head quickly.
- The laser MRC500 can be combined with a solder paste jet dispenser.
TR300 soldering table-top robotLearn more Read more
The mta TR300 is a table-top soldering robot platform. This robot is purpose-built and standardized for semi-automated applications that require point-to-point soldering.
The table-top platform is a cost-effective solution to automate existing hand-soldering processes without the cost of fully-automated systems. Automating the solder process has several advantages over hand soldering. It produces highly consist joints, improved quality, higher throughput and it requires less skill and training than hand soldering.
This table-top soldering robot platform is also ideal for applications where human dexterity is required to position the parts. Indeed, operators can load and unload the parts in offline fixtures to minimize machine downtime.
The main features of our TR300 platform include: sturdy aluminum frame, 4-axis soldering robot, 300x300mm working area, 0.02mm repeatability, industrial PC controller with Windows 10 operating system, intuitive menu-driven mta MotionEditor software and air preparation & selectable 110/220VAC power connections.
As the TR300 is a purpose-built solution, it can support any of mta’s soldering heads without compromise. The ball-screw axis and motors provide fast repeatable motion. Likewise, they are strong enough to support our heads that include our anti-jam wire feeder system and solder wire spool. There is no need to push solder wire through lengthy and problematic feed tubes. Therefore, the solder process is more accurate and reliable wire feed than feeding the wire long distances. Similarly, we pre-plumbed a large fume extraction hose with the nozzle located directly above the solder joint. Furthermore, light curtains and safety guarding are standard features. Lastly, the TR300 platform includes metal sides and door to protect operators with the laser soldering head.
5 reasons to choose the mta TR300 table-top robot
- The TR300 is the ideal platform for companies looking to automate current hand soldering processes.
- Your process is difficult to fully automate (e.g. you need human dexterity to load the parts.).
- Volume or product life do not justify fully automated production.
- The remaining processes are also off-line.
- The parts fit inside a 300x300mm work area.
See also our fully-automated MRC500 platform.
Solder wire feederLearn more Read more
The location of the mta wire feeder is unique. Placing it directly on the solder head improves accuracy, reliability, and overall performance. We are distinctive in this regard because our purpose-built robot is able to support the additional weight at the end of the robot.
The wire feeder is a key element of the soldering robot which drives the soldering alloy to the exact position required by the application. Furthermore, this unit is adaptable to several wire diameters.
6 advantages of the mta solder wire feeder design
- The solder wire is not pushed through long feed tubes, so there is no chance for the wire to jam or kink – we guarantee this.
- A precise control is maintained over how much solder wire is fed to each joint.
- The actual solder movement is measured to positively verify the process is correct.
- The solder wire is removed from the solder pool while the pool wets out. This prevents flux from leaking in the pool and eliminates the main cause of solder spatter.
- Placing the feeder at the joint means there is no back-pressure on the wire, so it feeds easily and smoothly.
- The wire spool is supported on bearings for smooth, consistent wire feed.
Solder paste dispensing headsLearn more Read more
Solder paste dispensers for laser and induction
The soldering market is heading towards smaller and smaller applications. Therefore, the size of the solder wire and the influence of its contact with the components become a limit for the achievable process accuracy.
In order to ensure the excellence of its laser and induction processes with the smallest parts, Unitechnologies now has the capability to integrate solder paste jet dispenser or traditional solder paste dispenser. This is integrated directly next to the soldering head, and within the same equipment.
The proximity between the solder paste dispenser and the soldering process ensures a perfect mastering of the complete process. Moreover, due to the complete integration of both process steps within the same automated equipment, the investment costs can be optimized.
3 reasons to choose the solder paste jet dispenser
- No accessibility problems due to non-contact solder paste dispensing process.
- Dedicated to very small dispensed solder paste quantity.
- No solder wire positioning or adjustment.
2 reasons to choose the traditional solder paste dispenser
- Used for medium up to large quantities of solder paste.
- Optimized cycle time and more effective process through combined solder paste dispensing and soldering operation.